Peterborough City Council have confirmed that a new Selective Licensing Scheme is being introduced with effect from 11th March 2024. The previous Licensing Scheme expired in 2021.
This means that property owners who privately rent properties in designated areas of Peterborough will need to apply for a Licence.
About the New Selective Licensing Scheme
The Housing Act 2004 gives councils the power to require residential landlords to obtain a licence to let property to tenants within a designated area.
The aim is to improve the quality of life for all in the area by ensuring a consistent high standard of management of private rented homes.
More Information about the Scheme can be found on the Peterborough City Council Website:
Important Points to Note
The Licensing Scheme commences on the 11th of March 2024 (You will not be able to register until this date)
- Cookes Property Management are registered as a Letting Agent for the Scheme
- The property owner should be the licence holder (we cannot be the licence holder for you)
- The total cost of the licence is £608 if you apply for the licence within 30 days of the scheme going live. (The fee is £908 if you apply after the 30 days)
- We can support you with certain steps in the process, however we cannot register for you, sign the declaration, or pay the Licence Fee
- You must register your profile on the Home Safe portal, add your properties and add Cookes Property Management Ltd as the Letting Agent
- Applications must be made online via Home Safe portal (Peterborough Selective Licensing | Home Safe Scheme (home-safe.org.uk)
- Licences will be distributed electronically, by email.
- There is an admin fee of £60.00 (£50.00 + VAT) for us to complete the steps in the application process and support you throughout the 5-year Scheme.
If you want to instruct us to carry out these steps, the admin fee will be deducted from the rent and detailed on your Statement of Accounts
It is therefore, very much in your interest to apply within the 30 days from 11th March 2024 if possible.
The Peterborough City Council website includes details of the designated areas, with a drop-down option to find out which streets within each Electoral Wards are included below;
How Can Cookes Property Management Support You?
If we provide you with our Fully Managed Service, we can;
- Provide you with a comprehensive presentation about the Scheme, what you actions you need to take and what documentation you will need to register for the Scheme
- Complete certain steps in the process for you once you have registered an account and added the properties that fall within the designated areas
- For us to be able to support you, you will need to add Cookes Property Management Ltd as your Letting Agent (we can be selected from the portal)
- This will enable us to update your application and upload the required documents up to the point that declarations, payment, and submission needs to be made
- We will also upload renewed documents throughout the lifecycle of the Scheme (5 years) e.g., Gas Safety Certificates, EPCs and EICRs
- Support you if there are any actions required following the Selective Licence Scheme Inspections that will be carried out by HomeSafe
Please Note: There is an admin fee of £60.00 (£50.00 + VAT) for us to complete the steps in the application process and support you throughout the 5-year Scheme.